Pono Home is seeking a part-time technician on the island of Lanai to provide home efficiency services to local residents to help them lower their utility bills and live greener and healthier.
The selected employee will be provided all the necessary training by Pono Home. No special experience is required, other than enthusiasm for greening homes and a willingness to learn. To apply, please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please contact us at (844) 467-6661 Ext. 0 or email@example.com.
To perform this role successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The ability to lift up to 50 pounds regularly and without assistance, as well as the ability to use power and other tools safely and reach tight spaces that may require climbing a ladder/stepstool and getting down on hands and knees are critical requirements of this position. In addition, the technician must:
- Communicate the process, tasks, and outcomes effectively with customers
- Attend meetings as appropriate and meet regularly with supervisors and project partners to exchange pertinent information and to receive supervision
- Use power and other tools to perform hardware installations on plumbing fixtures and light bulb replacements
- Interact appropriately with any and all customers, family members, care providers of residents, and project partners
- Educate clients one-on-one in a home setting
- Accurately use and derive readings from various cleantech auditing devices
- Maneuver tight and sometimes damp spaces with acuity sufficient to avoid accidents
- Assist with inventory and general maintenance of supplies, facilities and equipment
- Interact with clients in a confidential, and responsible manner maintaining a high level of ethical conduct
- Lack debilitating allergic reaction to common household allergens, including but not limited to pet dander, dust mites, and other airborne allergens
- Lack debilitating chemical sensitivity to chemical gases frequently found in homes
- Put forth a welcoming personality capable of interacting with new potential customers in a way that makes people feel comfortable
- Maintain detailed customer records and follow up with potential customers
- Represent the company at public events and at all times put forth a professional appearance
- Handle payment processing
- Scheduling of customer visits and upkeep of customer database
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School diploma or equivalent plus two years of relevant paid or voluntary experience OR Associate degree required
- Oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge in educating clients in daily living skills
- Observation and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and without ongoing supervision, including scheduling, and especially timeliness
- Potential willingness to use personal transportation in work capacity, with reimbursement paid for miles driven
- Knowledge of sustainability issues or related work experience would be beneficial
- Experience managing a project
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Driver’s license and a clean driving record
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the technician to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lifts and carries up to 50 pounds
- Safely loads and unloads cargo from work vehicle
- Climbs stairs and/or ladder and safely work on a ladder for brief periods
- Gets down on hands and knees
- Working hours rotate quickly
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory reference and background investigation checks
- Satisfactory completion of training and all required paperwork
- Attendance at all mandatory staff development & training
Hourly pay of $15-$17 based on experience, plus commissions earned for each item installed.
Training includes one week of online training and one week of in-person training on Lanai or a neighbor island.
How to Apply
About Pono Home
Pono Home is a sustainability-focused, Certified B Corporation focused on greening lives, homes and small businesses, with the mission of making sustainability accessible, easy, affordable, and convenient for all. Pono Home technicians audit a home using custom software with a 200+ point checklist to identify ways to reduce electricity and water usage, and then provide eco-upgrade installations, appliance maintenance, and education in a comprehensive home efficiency service to help people save money and live greener and healthier, for life!
Pono Home was selected for the Elemental Excelerator’s 2014 Go-To-Market track and the 2016 Demonstration Track, and was awarded the Just Innovation Prize to serve the East Palo Alto area in 2018. Since opening in 2014, the company has greened more than 6,000 homes across the Hawaiian islands. More than 2,000 homes were serviced in 2017, with estimated annual savings of over $550,000 on utility bills, 26 million gallons of water and roughly 3 million pounds of carbon dioxide emissions. Pono Home has also recently released a line of organic personal care products with a zero-waste innovation that it has begun marketing and testing on Oahu and soon in Las Vegas. The company is expanding through franchising.